Friday, June 25, 2010

James


I don't even really know how to start this post. I haven't spent a lot of time talking about some of the trials that James has been going through in the last 18 months, mainly because they are personal and private and it's not my place. So I'm still not going to talk about them. Suffice it to say that he has had some trials in his life that included coming home from his mission and year early and working through some things.

From my perspective, the last 18 months have been long, frustrating, challenging, heartbreaking, and a cause for joy. It's so, so hard to watch someone that you love very much struggle and flounder and lose his way. And it's hard to know that as much as you're hurting for them, and cheering for them, and praying for them, there's nothing you can do to fix the situation. I have a hard time with that. I like to handle things and take care of things, and when a situation arises that I can't, it's hard for me.

But it has been a privilege to watch James mature. He has become so strong. He has grown into a man. He has come to understand what it is that is truly important in his life, and has set his priorities in a manner that is going to bring him long term happiness and fulfillment. He has goals and has plans in place to accomplish those goals. He would not be the person he is right now, making the decisions he is right now, if he hadn't been through the trials he's suffered in the last 18 months.

James made the decision to return to complete his mission. He made a two year commitment and decided that he needed to fulfill that full two years rather than just one. He left very, very early this morning to complete that mission in the Albuquerque, New Mexico mission. I am so very proud of him for making such an honorable decision. I am excited for him to serve his second year and return home next June. I love you James and very very proud of you!!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

YAY! Woohoo! Jumping for joy! I hope you realize that he wouldn't have made such great choices if not for a terrific aunt who always loved him and supported him....even when it was hard. You are amazing.....and have helped to raise one amazing guy! Good luck in the mission field, ELDER DUNKLE!!!

Jones' said...

Way to go! Liza you are an amazing person and I am so grateful to have you as a friend as I am sure James is too!