Thursday, September 2, 2010

Expanding horizons

I have always been a huge bookworm!  I love to bury myself in a good book and put myself into another reality for a few hours.  I'm a big fan of mysteries and spy books and thrillers. I love a good scare!  Someone came into my life last year and became an important part of my life.  He opened my eyes to a world of books I'd never really explored before....non fiction.  While that individual has chosen to not be a part of my life anymore, one of the many things he's left with me is a new love of non fiction books.  The ones that we read together have become some of my favorites, and I've added some other great ones.  So, here are some non fiction books I highly, highly recommend!!
What a great book!  Simple, basic, important life lessons taught with love and kindness by a truly great man.
Talk about a book that makes you think!  Each section taught a better lesson than the one before it did.  
A beautiful story of two very different men, in very different walks of life, and the way that their faith leads and guides them, and saved their lives.  It reminded me of the importance of faith and having a belief system in my life.
Oh wow!  Talk about a book that made me cry.  Almost from start to finish.  Randy Pausch was an amazing man, husband, and father who wanted to leave a legacy of learning and love for his children, who lost him far, far too soon due to cancer.  The lessons he wanted to leave for them are beautifully shared in this book.  It hit very close to home for me, because  also was left the same type of legacy by a loving dad that I lost too soon.  I've read this book three times now & cried every time!
Such a cute book!  Brad Meltzer selected about 50 people from all walks of life who made a difference in the world.  The heroes range from everyone from the Wright brothers, who made the book not because they discovered flight, but because they KNEW they were going to fail and continued to persevere anyway, to Rosa Parks, who made history for taking a stand for what was right. 
My current read.  Such a good book!  And perfect for me at this point in my life, as I feel like I'm at a point where everything is changing for me.  One of the things this book is helping me to realize is that even though some of the changes are ones that I would never make on my own & am not particularly embracing, they can still be changes that have a powerful and positive effect on my life.  It's all in how I look at it and how I embrace it.  My life is no more and no less than what I make of it.  Change is always going to be a part of my life, so change is no more and no less than what I make of it.

No comments: