Friday, September 25, 2009

Spud Harvest

This is Josh's first year working Spud Harvest. He wasn't sure he was going to be able to with his knee, but he's working for terrific farmers who found something for him to do. I have to say, after my high school harvest career of two years riding the combine and a year picking clods at the cellar, I'm a little jealous of him! He is driving tractor in the field, crushing the weeds behind the side diggers. Right now, they're working in the field directly in front of the house, so when the call came for more food please(!) I walked out to take him food & took photos. I so do not miss working harvest!

The knee causing all the trouble in it's brace

The house from where Josh is working

Josh with his tractor behind him

Josh driving the tractor


Josh following the two side diggers

The side diggers--these are what actually dig up the potatoes so that the combine can pick them up

A spud truck being filled

I spent many, many hours on a combine much like this in high school!

I don't think I have ever been dirtier in my life than I was while working spud harvest! Josh is lucky to be in an air conditioned, heated tractor cab with a stereo!

4 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

WHAT?????? He is driving a TRACTOR!!!!!!! That is sooooo unfair! I am super jealous! I hated harvest....other than the money that came with it, and a few fun dirt clod fights, it SUCKED! He's spoiled.....and make sure he knows it EVERY SINGLE DAY that he is busy driving that tractor! If I hear he complains once.....I'll have to do something mean, just don't know what it is yet! :) Yeah, never been dirtier than that....I think I usually had dirt in my hair and skin till at least November of every year!

Micah and Jen said...

Oh, and nightmares of potatoes running after me!

Liza said...

Jen, I swear that I had dirt in my teeth after just being on the road b y the field this morning!

Jones' said...

Man, I can still feel the dirt plastered in my hair! I agree boys get all the comfy jobs and women do all the work! Lol!