Friday, July 27, 2007

One of My Loves...

I am a huge dog lover. My family has had collies for as long as I can remember. I can't imagine not having a dog in my house. I love all dogs, but my heart belongs to collies. All collies, but mine in particular. Have you ever had a dog that was just kind of your "heart" dog? You know what I mean--the dog who sometimes, you would just rather be with than most people you know? I've been fortunate enough to have a few dogs like that in my life. Two of them have now left me, at the age of 12 and 13, and the third I am still lucky enough to have in my life, my home, and most often, lounging on my bed!

So, not only do I love & adore my dogs, but I also participate in shows with them. I've been lucky enough to have some dogs with very good success in the show ring. I love participating in that world with them, but if I was never able to go to another dog show, I would still love to have my dogs. Here are a couple of my "heart" dogs...This gorgeous dog was Ch. Elsinore's Hot Pants, CGC. We called him Pants. Pants came into my life when I was 16 years old. I saw a photo of him when he was 12 weeks old & fell head over heels in love. I knew I HAD to have this puppy!!!! He became mine a couple of months later. This dog took me on the ride of my life. He did fantastically in the show ring, exceeding any dreams I had for him. He achieved almost every honor that he could in the show ring & gave me beautiful babies! More than that though, he was a friend. He was my protector & often my confidante when I was in high school. I loved this dog. Unfortunately, I lost him last fall at the age of 12. I cherish his kids & grandkids who live with me still & the memories they give me of Pants.




This beautiful lady was Ch. Pembroke Faux Pas. We called her Pas. Pas was born in my bathroom. She was my dog from the day she was born. As you can see from her official name, Pas also finished her championship, and did a fantastic job in the show ring. More than anything else, though, Pas was my buddy. I must have been about 15 when she was born. Pas never had any doubt about her place in life & in our home. She was fully sure that she was the center of the family & the center of our hearts. She wasn't too far off! As she got older, she got more charming, but hers was an obstinate, stubborn charm! Every member of our family loved her, as well as just about everyone who ever met her...she had a way of wiggling her way into hearts. This has been a tough year--we lost Pas a couple of months ago at the age of 13. Like Pants, her memory lives on here through her kids & grandkids.



I mean, how can you not love this face? As a Pants daughter & a Pas granddaughter, Brooke ensures that the legacy lives on & continues at my house....






1 comment:

Micah and Jen said...

Ah, I loved those two dogs--they were just "you" and whenever I see a collie I instantly think of you! Pas and Pants were amazing dogs and I am sure they are waiting happily for you up in heaven--and Brooke is gorgeous! How fun to be able to carry on Pants through her!