Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chickens


As a family, we have been talking about the need in today's uncertain world for being more self sufficient. Someone came up with the brilliant idea that one of the ways to be more self sufficient is by having our own chickens. We used to have them years ago, but haven't had the pleasure of having these squaking critters around in over 10 years. I am not sure how I feel about it, but we will be having a couple dozen baby chicks joining our family next month. So we are busy trying to get a small chicken coop built before they arrive. I have to admit, I do love having fresh brown eggs available & have you priced eggs in a store lately??? They are outrageous & who knows how old they are? So for any of you who are close, come October, if you are interested in fresh eggs, give me a call!

3 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

I'm there! We REALLY want to get some chickens...but live in town and don't have a fenced yard (would love them to roam and eat all my earwigs!) and don't really have alot of space for a chicken coop....so count us in!!! I have been trying to get my mom to get some....but none yet! I love having chickens....except when you butcher them....YUCK! :)

Micah and Jen said...

Oh, we want a milk cow too....so let me know if you guys get real ambitious....we'll buy milk from you! :)

Liza said...

For fresh milk, you're on your own! We are NOT getting a cow!