Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


A friend of mine posted this on a chat blog we are both on & I stole it from him, because I really liked it. Today is Memorial Day. I think that alot of the time, we don't really think about what that means. Memorial Day weekend is a time for a family trip, BBQ's, big sales at all the stores, etc. I hope that somewhere in the midst of all the excitement & fun of Memorial Day, we're able to stop & think for a few minutes as to what the true meaning of the day is.

My dad chose to make his career in the US Navy & served 25 honerable years, retiring as a Commander. He & my mom instilled in all of us a deep pride & love of our country. I am so thankful for the men & women who make the decision to dedicate their lives to preserving the freedom of our country & have so much respect for the bravery of them & their families.

Today on this Memorial Day, my prayers of gratitude are turned to those brave me & women who have willingly given their lives in service to our country & who continue to serve, regardless of the danger.


Our little local cemetary always has a beautiful Memorial Day ceremony. We went to it this morning, as we do every year. We always have a speaker & the local VFW is always there to do a gun salute. It was very cool as always. The photo of the flag above is the flag flying in our cemetary that Josh took a photo of. We also took some photos of the group at the cemetary & of my dad's headstone, decorated with his American flag for being retired military & the lilacs from our beautiful bush in our yard.


1 comment:

Micah and Jen said...

Beautiful....and I still miss him so much! What an amazing man he is!