Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ch. Pembroke The Patriot Sept 8, 2001-Oct. 2, 2009

Just over 8 years ago, this precious little puppy was born at my house. James, who was 12 at the time, fell in love with this puppy and wanted him for his own. I believe there's no better way to teach a child responsibility and unconditional love than for him to have a dog of his own. So this sweet little baby became James'. And the puppy became Gibson, with the registered name of Pembroke The Patriot. Of course, he was more often heard to be called Gibs or Gibbers. Gibbers had this huge love of life. Everything was a huge adventure to him. Every day was greeted with a great enthusiasm and happiness. As long as he got a hug every morning and his hips scratched, he was a happy kid. Gibs loved everyone, but James was his world. He loved his kid every day of his life and they grew up together. Gibson was a smooth, sable headed white collie, which is fairly unusual. James wanted the challenge of showing him though. James finished Gibson's championship completely on his own & he & Gibbers did very well in the Junior Showmanship ring together, earning several Best Junior Handler awards together. But most of all, they were best friends, which is what a dog should be.

So while we've spent the last couple of days working through the worst part of owning dogs--having them leave us too soon--I find myself so grateful that I get to have them in my life & that we had the last 8 years with Gibson. I hope that those of us who lived with him can take some of that love and zest of life that he always showed and exhibit some of it ourselves...how much better of a world would this be if the humans in it could love as purely as dogs do?

So rest in peace, sweet Gibson. We love you very much and you and your sweet, happy spirit will be much missed around here!



2 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

I had no idea! I am so sorry for your loss. what a beautiful dog....I wish I could get a puppy for my boys....but not just yet! This story is very inspiring though.

Jones' said...

OH Liza, I am so sorry for your loss.