Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ch. Pembroke Direct Hit November 17, 1999-December 13,2009



Today is a very sad day around here. Josh lost his first dog and best friend today. Derek was born here in 1999. We really liked him as a puppy and kept him. Josh & Derek bonded when Josh came to visit in the summer of 2000. Josh told me that Derek was his favorite of our dogs. The next year, when Josh came to live here, he asked me if he could have Derek as his very own dog. Of course, the answer was yes, as Derek's furry little heart already belonged to Josh. For the last 8 years, he has been completely Josh's. He has slept on his bed and sometimes I'll look out the window and see them playing in the yard or just standing there, with Derek's front paws on Josh's chest while Josh rubs his ears. Derek was a sweet, kind dog, who only ever wanted his hugs and loves--and his dinner! We will miss him greatly around here and I am so, so sad for Josh. I remember what it was like to lose my first dog--it's a hard thing, but I also know he'll always carry the things he learned from Derek and the love and responsibility Derek taught him.

1 comment:

Micah and Jen said...

That is soooo hard. I am so sorry Josh and my thoughts are with you tonight. Losing an animal you are close too and love is like losing a best friend. Thinking of you! HUGS!!!