Friday, December 25, 2009




















The wind down of Christmas Eve might be my favorite part of Christmas. Everyone has gone to bed & I have the house to myself. All the lights are out except for the Christmas trees, the mantel lights, and the single candle in each window. It's the time when I can feel the calm, peaceful spirit of the season the most.

We decided as a family to scale back the commercial and present giving aspect of Christmas this year. I missed some of the fun of shopping because of that, but we've found as a family that we have more time for each other and more of a desire to be together this year than we have in the past. As I let that joy fill my heart, it's made this Christmas even more special.

Today, Josh and I spent some time together doing some last minute shopping and errands. It was interesting, because while we were out, we got two very different views of this holiday. We went to Wal-Mart, where the store was packed with people frantic to get the final items needed at the last minute. The lines were long, tempers were short. From there, we went to a dear friend's home. As we walked through her front door, I could feel the peace of her home. We came in to this sweet family making cookies to leave for Santa and preparing to spend their Christmas Eve with family. A sweet spirit of love and happiness filled their home. I was grateful for the example this friend was to me, as always & was thankful that this was the spirit Josh and I were taking home with us tonight. So as the clock turns to midnight and the day changes to Christmas Day, my heart's wish is that you may remember the true spirit of Christmas. Remember, especially, the importance of family & spending this sacred time of year with those who mean the most to you.

2 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

You brought tears to my eyes. I felt so bad that I didn't get to really talk with you while you were here and felt like we rushed you out. I wanted so badly just to sit and talk and enjoy your company. I really appreciate your kinds words and thank you so much for stopping by. It's always so great to see you! :) And, it was crazy here too....I don't know what you are talkinga about! :) You should have seen this mornings total chaos!!! WOW! We've never done all 5 kids for Christmas, and it was INSANE! Hope you have a wonderful day, and maybe we can get together this next week just to chat?? Micah will be home the entire week, so we should try to work out a lunch date or something??? Have a great one and thanks again for your friendship!!! LOVE YA!!!!!

Liza said...

Yes, yes! We should for sure get together and go for lunch or something this week! I bet it was insane and awesome at your house this morning!!!