Saturday, December 19, 2009

LOST: One serving of Christmas Spirit

I am usually the biggest Christmas person in the world! I have a really easy time picking up the Christmas spirit & just love everything about this time of year. But this year has been really hard for me, for various reasons. I had a hard time getting motivated to decorate the house, make my Christmas goodies, do Christmas cards, even shop for my family & friends. I usually am the biggest gift giver! I love to plan and get the perfect gift for people & am usually so excited to see them open it & know how much they're going to love it. This year, I could really care less. I think that part of why I'm having a hard time is because we are having a very low key Christmas around here. I feel like I'm not able to give my family and the people in my life what they deserve and because of that, I'm having a hard time finding my joy of the season. A very good friend reminded me the other day that presents and material things aren't the reason for Christmas. So I've been doing some thinking since then & trying to remember the real reason for the season and my Christmas spirit. I don't know that I've really found my spirit, but I do know that I'm so grateful that we have this holiday to celebrate the birth of our Older Brother and Savior. I'm so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who loves me unconditionally, even when I probably don't deserve it. I am thankful for the wonderful family He gave me and the wonderful friends that He has brought into my life to teach me and help me on my personal journey. I have so much to be thankful for and have been given so many blessings in my life. My goal for the rest of the holiday season is to remember those blessings and remember to show gratitude daily for all the wonderful things in my life. To all of my wonderful, wonderful friends who will read this, thank you so very much for your friendship and love and everything that you have brought into my life.

2 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

I'm so sorry. I didn't even realize you were having a hard time...guess I'm NOT one of those great friends. I know how you feel though, I've had those really hard Christmas' myself....and it's just HARD! I applaud you for your strength to do the things you are doing and for keeping the spirit in your life. YOu will be blessed for it, even if it doesn't feel much like it right now. I love ya, and am so sorry that I haven't been there for you like I should have been. If you need a little holiday pick-me-up, just stop on by and my kids will help you out in that department! :) HUGS!!!

Liza said...

Jen! You are at the top of that list of great friends!! You also have a lot of your own stuff going in & don't need me harassing you with stupid stuff! I may take you up on that offer from your kids though--it's been awhile since I've had an Austin hug and loves!!